Join the Team!
EBAYS is always looking to hire dedicated, passionate, community educators.
Public Education Specialist
The EBAYS Public Education Specialist works with learners of all ages (but primarily middle and high school youth), connecting environmental science with real world applications. These hands-on experiences and programs are designed by The Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley’s public science center.
The EBAYS Public Education Specialist implements and participates in community-based science programming. Programs take place throughout East Bay school and youth spaces. This position supports youth development through inquiry-based investigations into air, water, and soil pollution; experience in supported leadership activities; and solutions-centered final projects to communicate findings. EBAYS programming focuses on integrating youth experiences with larger environmental justice issues, including the cumulative impacts of pollution, health disparities, and institutional injustice.
The person in this position will have a commitment to grassroots learning and organizing, a strong understanding of environmental and social justice, and a passion for youth leadership.
Title: Public Education Specialist
Work Hours: Variable hours; Depending on location, programs may be held mornings and some evenings. Weekend availability required.
Desired Skills & Experiences
- B.A. in related field, OR relevant previous experience
- Previous experience working collaboratively with others
- Ability to create a community and team oriented environment
- Strong people skills, including working within a broad range of environments, opinions, and experiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Project and time management skills
- Ability to organize multiple tasks
- Strong ability to facilitate conversations around complex topics like environmental justice
- Ability to coordinate youth final projects for maximum impact
- Reliable method of transportation to various community sites
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Science background, particularly an environmental science, is a plus but not required
- Teaching or youth leadership experience is a plus, but not required